In the world of dentistry, dental bridges are one of the most in-demand treatments offered to patients. This is because dental bridges are more comfortable and natural-looking than traditional dentures. If you’re considering getting a bridge, here’s what you need to know about this popular dental procedure.
The Uses of Dental Bridges
Dental bridges are a popular alternative to traditional dentures. A bridge is an option for patients who have lost one or more teeth but have healthy teeth on either side of the missing teeth.
Unlike traditional dentures, a bridge provides more security to the teeth on either side of the gap left by a missing tooth. The bridge is connected to your existing teeth on either side and anchored to the roof of your mouth by dental crowns.
The Best Candidate for Dental Bridges
Of course, you should visit your dentist to determine if a dental bridge is the best option for you. However, the following conditions may make you a good candidate for dental bridges:
- Have only lost one tooth
- Have enough healthy teeth on either side of the space left by a missing tooth
- Have enough bone to support a bridge
The Types of Dental Bridges
There are four types of dental bridges. The type you receive depends on the number of teeth that need replacing and other factors, like the condition of your teeth.
- Traditional Bridge – If you’ve lost one or more teeth but have healthy teeth on either side of the gap, your dentist may recommend a traditional dental bridge.
- Maryland Bridge – This bridge only replaces one lost tooth. It is anchored in place by the two adjacent teeth and does not touch your gums.
- Cantilever Bridge – If you’ve lost two or more teeth, your dentist may recommend a cantilever bridge. This type of bridge is supported by two adjacent teeth, as well as a dental abutment on the opposite side of the gap.
- Implant-Supported Bridge – If you’ve lost one or more teeth but don’t have enough healthy teeth to support a traditional dental bridge, your dentist may recommend an implant-supported bridge.
The Benefits of Dental Bridges
There are several benefits to choosing a dental bridge. These include:
- Natural Looking: Dental bridges look more natural than traditional dentures. They are anchored to your existing teeth and gums for support, as well as anchored to the roof of your mouth.
- More Support: As we mentioned earlier, dental bridges provide more support than traditional dentures. It’s most likely that dental bridges will last for many years and possibly a lifetime.
- More Comfortable: Dental bridges are more comfortable than traditional dentures. Because the bridge is anchored to your existing teeth, you won’t experience the loose, uncomfortable feeling associated with dentures.
- Longer Lasting: Many people do not like to wear dentures consistently, as they can become loose and uncomfortable after a few hours. However, many people wear their bridges full time while they are eating and socializing.
Ready for a Dental Bridge Treatment?
If you’re missing one or more teeth, dental bridges may be the best treatment. Dental bridges are more comfortable and natural-looking than traditional dentures and can help you keep your beautiful smile for years to come.
Let the best dentist in Manassas, VA give you the best dental treatment. Here at Liberia Dental Care, we offer unique dental treatments to patients of all ages. Get in touch with us about our dental bridge treatment today.