Pediatric Dentists Manassas VA
Every parent wants to provide the best care for their child. A child’s general health is important, including their teeth and gums. For this reason, pediatric dentists are preferred among parents. Pediatric dentists provide an essential role in oral medicine for infants, children, and adolescents. Learn more about pediatric dentists below and contact us for a consultation.
Pediatric Dentists Defined
Pediatric dentists specialize in the dental care of infants, children, teens, and special needs children. These dental professionals undertake two to three years of additional training after completing dental school. For example, training may include hospital experience, which requires them to work with children with acute dental issues.To further explain, pediatric dentists are experienced and qualified to care for children’s gums, teeth, jaw, and overall mouth structure. Although a general dentist can treat children, pediatric dentists and their team are better suited to offer care for your children as their office atmosphere is child-friendly.
Education and Training
Pediatric dentists are well-educated to care for a child and those with special needs. Commonly, education and training include the following.
- The distinctive nature of a child and how their family, school, and environments influence oral health.
- The origin and cures of the different oral problems both acquired and inherited, from gum diseases to decay, traumatic dental injuries to tooth wear, poorly formed to missing teeth.
- Psychological development and physical growth of children before birth to adulthood.
- Disabilities and illness in children and their impact on dental treatment and oral health.
- Best practice guidelines, existing research, and evidence-based treatments concerning the oral health of children.
Pediatric dentists continue their education every year. This provides them with more knowledge of children’s dental health, updates on dental technology, current dentistry trends, and more. Ways to continue education include earning credits and partnering with other health professionals and organizations. Below are more examples.
- Learn how to treat children with physical, intellectual, and medical conditions such as ADHD and Autism.
- Liaise with pediatricians, doctors, and nurses, and other medical health professionals to ensure children are receiving the best dental health care.
- Identify the various causes of dental diseases and ways of helping both the children and their families maintain good dental health.
Dental Treatments Offered in Pediatric Dentistry
- Preventive dental care which includes nutrition and diet recommendations as well as fluoride and cleaning treatments.
- Manage gum conditions and diseases such as pediatric periodontal disease.
- Offer dental health information for infants and children such as ways on how to stop thumb and lip sucking
- Examine and treat improper bites and teeth alignment.
- Provide care for dental injuries such as knocked-out, fractured, or displaced teeth.
- Treat and prevent dental decay, such as dental cleanings, fillings, and sealants.
Contact Liberia Dental Care to learn more about pediatric dental care. Our office is equipped with a knowledgeable and friendly team along with the latest technology. Book a consultation to meet the team and learn how our services would be a great fit for your family. Call 703-969-5774 or book an appointment online. We look forward to meeting you.